Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Welcome to TWT

Yes, I am referring to my blog as TWT, not because I am too lazy to write out the complete name, but because I am a teacher and acronyms are part of the soul of a teacher. Think about it, how many acronyms are we given each year? PBL, SAT, ACT, CTE, the list goes on...Now that I think about it TWT sounds awful close to twit, maybe that is appropriate???

So, now that I have explained my acronym, let me explain the purpose of this blog. Well, purposes of this blog. As a business teacher, I love bulleted and numbered list - they really to help you cut to the important things so, here is my list...

  1. Share and discuss educational trends - as any educator knows, there are more trends in education than there is on the New York runway. I am hoping to find the important and useful trends and get a meaningful discussion on the meaning, uses and implementation of the good trends. For the bad trends, well, we will also discuss them and how we can turn lemons into lemonade!
  2. Share and discuss emerging technology and software - we live in a world of exponential technological growth. As educators, we have enough on our plate without having to sort through which technologies are useful, available (there is nothing like preparing a great new website for use only to find out that it is BLOCKED on the student side of the server), and cost effective (mostly that means free, but thanks to the world of Apple Apps, there are many useful tools under $5).
  3. Share and discuss classroom techniques that work - the terms Project Based Learning and Problem Based Learning (or PBL...for both...aren't acronyms great) are the latest, greatest classroom techniques. As someone who has implemented PBLs into my class lesson plans for over a decade, I know that there are ways to make the use of PBL more effective and efficient. Given the definitive data that has proven that PBL works and works well when properly implemented, we must embrace this idea and support one another in our quest to make PBL a reality.
  4. Convince technologically challenged educators that technology is our friend - it is ironic that we are constantly asking our students to adapt to our way of teaching - what corner of the paper to write their name, what style of writing is acceptable, how to turn in homework, how to ask to go to the bathroom, ect - yet many educators resent being asked to adapt to the world around them. I hope to convince all teachers that not only is technology not our enemy - it is our new best friend. Most technologically challenged teachers are incredibly smart, incredibly good at educating kids, yet scared of technology. Fear no more - I hope that you will learn that we are in this together and there are easy ways to become tech savvy. The truth is you don't have to be a tech nerd to look like one! The good news is that though technology is not perfect, it is MUCH easier than the tools we have used in the past. As with everything in life, you must believe to achieve!
  5. Find and share engaging lesson plans for all subjects - I love curriculum and I love finding and developing lesson plans. There are an abundance of resources that have great lesson plans with integrated technology. Even for the tech challenged, these lesson plan resources are a great and easy way to look like a rock star!

Notice that the word "share" was mentioned in each item. I want feedback. I want to know the good, the bad and the ugly about what I am posting. I LOVE a good, healthy debate - a debate where opposing opinions are posted without personal attacks or unprofessional conduct. This blog is for ALL teachers. The larger our network, the more we can accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment